Sunday, September 2, 2007

Ganga praises parents for success

WEST INDIES batsman and Trinidad and Tobago skipper Daren Ganga said he was thrilled over being chosen for a national award as part of the country’s 45th anniversary Independence honours.

“It is great so see that my contribution to the country in terms of cricket has been recognised and I am thrilled with the fact that I am receiving the Humming Bird Medal Gold,” said Ganga, who has played 45 Tests for the West Indies.

“I would really like to thank my parents (Ramesh and Jenno) who have really been the ones behind my success.

“ Of course my friends and teammates on the Trinidad and Tobago and West Indies teams, have played a part in my success and I would really like to dedicate this award to them.”

Ganga, the most successful captain in the history of TT cricket after a string of regional titles recently, said the award would further serve to inspire him as he sought to bring further glory to Trinidad and the West Indies. “This award will serve as an impetus for me to move on to greater things in my career on the sporting field and life in general,” the 28-year old right-hander said.

“It is with much pride that I accept this medal, as it really shows that people are appreciative of the efforts and sacrifice that one makes for his country.

“I was the seventh TT player to skipper the West Indies and this was a very special moment for me. Getting this award would rank as another very special moment for me. “It is my hope that this serves as an inspiration for my teammates and all sports persons in general, as they make a contribution to the building of their country.”

Also receiving awards from the sporting fraternity were TT Cricket Board chief executive officer Forbes Persaud and boxer Jiselle Salandy.

Persaud received a Public Service Medal of Merit (Silver), while, Salandy got a Chaconia Medal Gold.

T&T Newsday

No comments:

Post a Comment